Search This Blog

7.19.2011

How's it hanging?

I love weddings. Blogs, photography, floral arrangements, dresses, you name it, I love it. This past month one of my best friends Meghan got married. It was an amazing celebration that I will never forget. I had the privilege of standing in the wedding, and not to mention helping along the way of the engagement. Last fall Meghan was browsing on Etsy, and found a wonderful handmade floral hanger for a wedding dress. Costing about $40.00, Meghan passed, and I took a mental note.

A few weeks later, the roomies and I went to check out an estate sale. Again, we are huge estate sale fans, remember when we got our dresser here? Luck was on our side, and amongst the ornaments, furniture, and silverware, there were these hangers. Fate, is that you?


Next step was fabric. I decided that cotton would be the easiest to manipulate, and create plenty of rose buds. Since this was a present, I could not ask what color Meghan wanted. I knew that she wanted a beachy-natural colored wedding, so I searched for a peachy yellow color. The subtle tone of the color wasn’t too much of a distraction from the dress, but didn’t blend with the dress either.

I cut the fabric into strips, then squares, then circles. Just think of making snowflakes in first grade: fold the square in half twice, then cut a rounded edge. Each circle had about a 3 inch diameter. Each rose bud was made out of four circles. The hanger in total had just under 40 rosebuds. Also, since I was working with cotton, the edges of the rose buds were fraying. I liked the look, but didn’t want the hanger to unravel completely. I used Fray Check to seal the edges:


And now the final product...





                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment