Search This Blog

6.03.2011

Headbands

I have the cutest nieces in the world. No contest.

The last headbands I made for Cora and Lucy looked like this:

                   

Cora is actually wearing both of them (Lucy wasn't in a headband mood at the time).


When I was visiting my mom in Arizona she let me take a look at her fabric selection, and take a some back to Chicago. (My mom is a talented quilter, sewer, crafter, etc.).The blue floral fabric came from my Grandma in Texas. She got the fabric from my Great Granny Flossie’s farm. It was used as chicken feed sacks, then people would use it to make dresses, and then the scraps to quilt. I love using fabric/supplies with a little history to them.


I started by cutting each fabric into three long/wide strips. I did not measure exactly the width and length, but it was about 4" x 30", and then I folded the pieces under and in half.  


                         

Next, I braided the fabric together and sewed off the ends...



I decided to use Velcro because I am not one hundred positive of their head sizes, so the Velcro will leave room for growth/error.



Next I made flowers out of the coordinating fabric for each braided band...



...and chose a button for each.

 
I have a bag of assorted buttons that has lasted for years. Literally since high school. It has slowly dwindled down after random projects. Most of the buttons are mismatched, but the perfect one is always in there...


I love the way these turned out.

Lesson learned: Never underestimate the size of a child's head. I had to add length onto one of them, but the structure allowed for that adjustment, so it was not a problem.

Favorite moment of this project: Watching Lucy put on her headband and exclaim: "It looks great on me!"

Mission accomplished.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment